Jun 30, 2021
Brought to you by Urgent Admin which is an intuitive one-touch solution that connects in-field clinicians and medical directors in real-time,
this But Why EMS podcast covers the sneaky chameleon known as Pseudo PEA.
Hear the But Why EMS Podcast team discuss with:
Dr. Ian Ferguson
Dr. Keith Marill
What Pseudo-PEA is, how to diagnose it, and more!
Thank you for listening!
Hawnwan Philip Moy MD
Gina Pellerito EMT-P
John Reagan EMT-P
Noah Bernhardson MD
1. Mehta C, Brady W. Pulseless electrical activity in cardiac arrest: electrocardiographic presentations and management considerations based on the electrocardiogram. Am J Emerg Med. 2012;30(1):236-9.
2. Littmann L, Bustin DJ, Haley MW. A simplified and structured teaching tool for the evaluation and management of pulseless electrical activity. Med Princ Pract. 2014;23(1):1-6.
3. Bergum D, Skjeflo GW, Nordseth T, Mjolstad OC, Haugen BO, Skogvoll E, et al. ECG patterns in early pulseless electrical activity-Associations with aetiology and survival of in-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2016;104:34-9.
4. Nordseth T, Olasveengen TM, Kvaloy JT, Wik L, Steen PA, Skogvoll E. Dynamic effects of adrenaline (epinephrine) in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with initial pulseless electrical activity (PEA). Resuscitation. 2012;83(8):946-52.
5. Hogan TS. External cardiac compression may be harmful in some scenarios of pulseless electrical activity. Med Hypotheses. 2012;79(4):445-7.
6. Atropine sulfate for patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest due to asystole and pulseless electrical activity. Circ J. 2011;75(3):580-8.
7. Gaspari R, Weekes A, Adhikari S, Noble V, Nomura JT, Theodoro D, et al. A retrospective study of pulseless electrical activity, bedside ultrasound identifies interventions during resuscitation associated with improved survival to hospital admission. A REASON Study. Resuscitation. 2017;120:103-7.
8. Testa A, Cibinel GA, Portale G, Forte P, Giannuzzi R, Pignataro G, et al. The proposal of an integrated ultrasonographic approach into the ALS algorithm for cardiac arrest: the PEA protocol. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2010;14(2):77-88.
9. Badra K, Coutin A, Simard R, Pinto R, Lee JS, Chenkin J. The POCUS pulse check: A randomized controlled crossover study comparing pulse detection by palpation versus by point-of-care ultrasound. Resuscitation. 2019;139:17-23.
10. Paradis N.A., Martin G.B., Goetting M.G., Rivers E.P., Feingold M., Nowak R.M.Aortic pressure during human cardiac arrest. Identification of pseudo-electromechanical dissociation. Chest, 101 (1992), pp. 123-128